I mentioned below that I had registered Mya for preschool, well she didn’t qualify. I really didn’t think she would since she has no learning disabilities. The preschool program here is designed for the lower income families, as well as children with disabilities. I was hoping to get Mya in due to her social skills, but it didn’t work. Mya, who hardly ever talks to strangers, and will cling to my leg like a leech, was little Miss Social Butterfly during her evaluation. She excelled in all the testing, even giving the teachers some new insight on what’s what! LOL! One of the tests required her to name the object shown, and tell its use. For example, when shown a picture of a car, she was supposed to say “it’s a car, and you drive it”. Pretty simple pictures were shown, but there was one that even I was surprised at her answer. The picture was a coat hanger, or clothes hanger. The teacher showed her the picture and asked her what it was, Mya says, excitedly, with no hesitations, “it’s a ringer dinger”. The teacher, looking extremely puzzled, asked her again, and again Mya, so sure of herself, repeated her answer. The teacher looks at me, clearly puzzled, and I could only shrug my shoulders because I had no idea where Mya was going with this. The teacher asked Mya to explain the ringer dinger, so Mya, so proud to be able to enlighten someone, proudly says, “You know, a ringer dinger! When it’s dinner time, you ring it to let everyone know it’s time to come and eat!” After she said this, the teacher and I both got a look from her as if we were totally ignorant to the concept of a ringer dinger! LOL! Anyway, based on the conversations she had with each of the teachers, she’s not lacking academically, and we don’t qualify based on income, so Mya won’t go to school until she starts Kindergarten in the fall of 2011.
I’m really nervous about Mya’s upcoming MRI. After her last trip to the doctor, I know it’s going to be a struggle for them to even get her height and weight. She now thinks every doctor’s visit will include shots. Of course, for the MRI, they will sedate her, and since they will use contrast for the test, that means an IV. Although I’m nervous about the test, I’m anxious to get the results. A few nights ago, I think Mya had a seizure in her sleep. It really scares me, yet I don’t know what to do. Do I get up and rush her to the hospital? Is it a medical emergency? There are lots of questions I need to ask the doctor if we’re looking at a seizure disorder. Even more questions if we’re not looking at a seizure disorder. Going back to the other night, I was laying in bed with Mya and she was doing her typical twitching that she does almost every night shortly after falling asleep, except this night the twitching was more of a jerking. I laid and watched and listened to her, and at some point she took a huge gasp for air, and started jerking to the point her back was arching. She jerked for what seemed like hours, but it was different than the normal twitching I’m used to, these were hard jerks. My first thought the next morning was sleep apnea (which she’s not known to have), however, after talking to her about the events of the night before, she had no memory, which leads me to believe it wasn’t sleep apnea. The memory loss is the most worrisome part for me. The night of the “possible seizure” we had spent the evening at my Mom’s celebrating my nephew’s birthday. There were several kids there and they all had a great time playing, we got to eat cake and ice cream, and so on. Mya doesn’t remember any of that. When I questioned her about playing with the kids, she said, “Makenna and Alyssa weren’t there, they were at Target”. Makenna and Alyssa were there, and she loves playing with them. When I asked about eating cake and ice cream and singing Happy Birthday to Casey, she looked at me as if she didn’t know what I was talking about, and then said, “Oh, I didn’t go”. Mya doesn’t forget things, especially an evening like we had at Mom’s. The memory loss is the same thing that has happened with the previous “seizure episodes”. I call them seizure episodes or possible seizure because we don’t know yet what’s going on. I hope we get answers from the MRI. In the mean time, I’m on pins and needles. I fear the unknown! I hope to be posting good news within the next week or so.
Andrew started at Murray this month for his MFA. I’m so excited for him. When he won the writing contest earlier this year, one of his professors told him he should submit his story to a journal, so I’m hopeful he can get published soon. Getting published would be a dream come true for him! Of course, I would be on cloud nine as well! LOL! The book he’s going to illustrate has been delayed several months, but I think the author is hoping to have something published by early 2011. Wouldn’t it be awesome to have your literary skills, as well as your art skills published! Go Andrew! I’m so proud of what’s he accomplished, so far, in his life! Currently, Andrew and James are looking to buy a house, but so far they haven’t been able to find anything within their price range that doesn’t need a complete overhaul. They’ve decided to stay in the Louisville area since it offers more opportunity than living in a smaller community. I wish them luck, I know how stressful it can be to find, and buy, a home.
Crazy, hectic as usual!
TTFN!
Friday, July 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment